Inverness-based The Three Little Bakers has been crowned Scottish Baker of the Year 2022/23.
The business beat nearly 60 other bakers to take home the title which was awarded at the Scottish Bakers annual conference and awards on 7 May 2022 at the Hilton in Glasgow.
“We are delighted, we cannot tell you how proud we are of our team and their hard work which has paid dividends not just with product wins but with the ultimate win,” said Paddy and Jane Murphy of The Three Little Bakers. “We look forward to being the Scottish Baker of the Year and to enjoying the benefits being the world champions will bring to our business.”
The business also took home three National Silver Awards in the morning roll, scone and potato scone categories as well as a Regional Bronze Award for its multiseed sourdough.
A range of business and product awards (see list below) were handed out at the black-tie event with some voted on by a panel of experts while others were awarded following a customer vote. The winners from the expert judged panels were:
- Bakery Café of the Year – Fisher & Donaldson
- Craft Baker of the Year – The Three Little Bakers
- Retail Craft Baker of the Year – Stephens Bakery
- Wholesale Baker of the Year – McGhee’s Bakery
The customer choice award winners were:
- Bakery Café – Annie’s Bakery
- Craft Baker – Dels Rols
- Retail Craft Baker – Harry Gow Bakery
- Wholesale Baker – Nevis Bakery
“With 50 industry professionals on hand during our annual judging day to put each product through its paces, our winners can be justifiably proud of their achievements,” said Alasdair Smith, CEO of Scottish Bakers which organised the event. “We really do congratulate all of our winners and we thank the voting public for taking the time to vote for their favourite bakery business.”
Here’s the full list of national product winners:
- Biscuit – Caramel Filled Shortbread, Reids of Caithness
- Buttery – Aberdeen Roll, Goodfellow & Steven
- Celebration Cake – Novelty Birthday Cake, J M Bakery
- Free-From Cake or Biscuit – Strawberry Cheese Cupcake, Cuckoo’s Bakery
- Free-From Bread – Farl, Tower Bakery
- Individual Cake – Vanilla & Raspberry Slice, Harry Gow Bakery
- Morning Roll – Morning Roll, Bayne’s the Family Bakers
- Potato Scone – Potato Scone, John Gillespie & Sons
- Savoury – Steak Pie, Goodfellow & Steven
- Scone – Fruit Scone, Mackenzie’s Bakery
- Sourdough Bread – White Sourdough, Breadalbane Bakery & Pantry
- Viennoiserie – Strawberry Danish, Fisher & Donaldson
- Yeasted Bread – Multigrain Low GI Bread, Breadalbane Bakery & Pantry
The celebration also saw Ian McGhee, director of McGhee’s Bakery, step into the role of president. He takes over from Linda Hill. Michelle Phillips, managing director of Mimi’s Bakehouse, was also appointed vice president.